On Monday, 12 June 2006 7:02, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On 6/11/06, Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Monday, 12 June 2006 3:17, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > Once again... portage is mad at me, I guess...  unless I'm not alone
> > > kdepim is required by KDE:
> > >     treat ~ # equery --nocolor depends kdepim-3.5.2-r2
> > >     [ Searching for packages depending on kdepim-3.5.2-r2... ]
> > >     kde-base/kde-3.5.2
> > >     kde-base/kdeaddons-3.5.2-r1
> > >     treat ~ #
> > > BUT is blocked by other pieces of KDE
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkpgp-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdepim-
> > > 3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkmime-3.5* (is blocking
> > > kde-base/kdepim- 3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkpimidentities-3.5* (is blocking
> > > kde-base/kdepim-3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/kalarm-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdepim-
> > > 3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkdepim-3.5* (is blocking
> >
> > kde-base/kdepim-
> >
> > > 3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/ktnef-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdepim-
> > > 3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/certmanager-3.5* (is blocking
> >
> > kde-base/kdepim-
> >
> > > 3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkdenetwork-3.5* (is blocking
> > > kde-base/kdepim-3.5.2-r2)
> > >    [blocks B     ] =kde-base/libkcal-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdepim-
> > > 3.5.2-r2)
> > >
> > > I find it especially charming that libkdepim is blocking kdepim, both
> >
> > being
> >
> > > of the 3.5 flavor.
> > > Can anyone tell me where to turn?
> >
> > You can't mix and match monolithic and split ebuilds. kdepim-meta is the
> > one
> > you're after.
>
> That sounds interesting, but I have no idea what to do about it.   I think
> once
> upon a time, when I was first installing gentoo, I opted for KDE.  I
> haven't done
> a thing about it since KDE 3.2.  Now all of a sudden I've got this
> conflict.
>
> What do I need to change?
>
> ++ kevinb

Ah, it seems like i misread what you were doing. You already have the
monolithic kde packages installed and it looks like you have parts of the
kdepim-meta package as well for some reason. If you want to emerge
kdepim-3.5.2-r2 you'll have to unmerge all those kde packages that are
blocking it as they are actually part of kdepim.

If you're not sure what the 'split' ebuilds or the *-meta packages are for,
basically starting with kde 3.4 a new set of ebuilds were created with all
the various parts of kde split up into hundreds of individual packages so
that users were not forced to install whole chunks of kde when they only
wanted a few particular programs installed. kdepim-meta is basically just the
kdepim package split up into a couple dozen smaller ebuilds for each
individual program or library that makes up kdepim.

More info at: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml

--
Raymond Lewis Rebbeck