I've been thinking about this over the last week or so. In particular the
fact that gcc always uses itself to build itself, does elminate the need for
building gcc twice. That being the case, emerging the new gcc then selecting
it as the default system compiler followed by a single emerge -e world
should be all that is necessary. I suppose it's possible that a few apps or
utilities that use static linking *could* possibly end up linking against
libraries that have not been rebuilt with the new compiler yet due to build
order issues. However since the number of apps and utilities that actually
use static linking is very small, it doesn't seem that a double emerge -e
world or system is justified.

That being said, seems these two articles appear to be giving out bad
information:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=282474&highlight=

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229.html

If I've mis-characterisized the issue in the above description I'd
appreciate it if someone would correct any mis-statements. Lastly, since the
Gentoo handbook no longer describes a stage one install, is there any
"official" documentation that describes the *correct* way to do a stage3
install and end up with the same level of optimization and customization
that used to be provided by a stage1 install?

--
Regards,
Bob Young