>> The old rp-pppoe init script works without problems on my up-to-date
>> gentoo router. I prefer this way, too.
>
> Nobody needs the old init.d-script anymore.

Perhaps we don´t need it, but we like to use it.

The OP said he wanted to use the script. If he wants to use that, it´s his
decision, isn´t it?

> Here are the advantages of
> using baselayout:
>
> - you can unmerge rp-pppoe

I do not see any advantage in that.
And: The net.example tells to emerge rp-pppoe

[...]
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ADSL
# For ADSL support, emerge net-dialup/rp-pppoe
# You should make the following settings and also put your [...]

> - the pppoe-plugin provided by pppd uses the kernel PPPoE-implementation
> which is much faster (but experimental though)

Faster in what way? It surely does not speed up your adsl-connection and i
don´t give a damn on that 2,5 seconds at 5 o´clock in the morning, that it
takes to reconnect.

> - /etc/init.d/net.pppX is part of "net", /etc/init.d/rp-pppoe is not
> (which is an advantage because of scripts that depends on net)

I do not see an advantage in that, too.

> - ... more?

This is the wrong word, i think "something" would be nice. But that is my
point of view, others may have seen some advantages in that.