Paul Stear wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 June 2006 11:05, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:47:11 +0100, Paul Stear wrote:
>
>> > 1. What is the correct procedure to recover a system in this state?
>> > What tools do I need?
>>
>> In this case, all you need to do is boot without X, or SSH in from
>> another box. As a last resort you could boot a live CD chroot and fix
>> things.
> How do I boot without x?

Hit "I" when the system prompts if "interactive mode" mode should be used.
I usually hold I all the way from after the boot loader until something
happens...

Another way: If you use grub, you can edit the boot command line. Add
"init=/bin/sh" to the end of the boot command line.

Alexander Skwar
--
Dreams are free, but there's a small charge for alterations.