On Friday 23 June 2006 00:22, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Yes, it is a good idea.  Sometimes I want to install a specific
> version, whether masked or not, and after that go back to tracking
> stable.  Now I don't have to keep watching the package and remove
> it from package.keywords when it becomes stable.

If you specify something like this:

=x11-apps/setxkbmap-1.0.2

and version 1.0.2-r1 comes out with a bug fix or a security fix. Then you
won't get the fix. That can be solved with either one of the following:

=x11-apps/setxkbmap-1.0*
=x11-apps/setxkbmap-1.0.2*
~x11-apps/setxkbmap-1.0.2

The following won't work, however:

~x11-apps/setxkbmap-1.0

But then what happens when 1.0.3 or 1.1* comes out and fixes something
important? Some think of this as a big issue. There is disagreement about the
importance of this even among the Gentoo developers (big surprise... ;) ).
Not all security fixes become a glsa (Gentoo Linux Security Advice).

--
Bo Andresen