Hi I use a A8N-E, with nvidia raid controler 2 segate SATA disks
working at RAID-0 ( sttriping ), I had installed gentoo base system
and grub successfully, but at boot time with kernel 2.6.16 it cannot
find device on /dev/mapper and with kernel 2.6.15-r1 it has a kernel
panic saiyng it can´t find /linuxrc file and /bin/bash file.

any more information needed ? just asks

On 6/26/06, Francesco Talamona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 26 June 2006 11:58, James Buckley wrote:
> He probably want's to use fakeraid because he wants to have a
> dual-boot Windows-Linux, both using raid. I also have had the same
> problem with 2.6.16+ dmraid, and the only solution I found was to use
> kernel 2.6.15-r9 (just < 2.6.16). Only 2.6.15 gives me other
> problems...

That's not correct.

I have a 4 disks software raid (1 and 5 + LVM) setup. The motherboard
has an integrated Promise controller that "thinks" the two disks
attached are a single logical RAID0 disk.

If I ever had a windoze on those disks it would run as if it was on a
single striped disc, according to controller BIOS.

While I was building this computer I also tested the software array
phisically removing one of the striped discs, despite the dreadful
error messages (the computer refuses to boot without an human
intervention) at boot Linux booted flawlessly, just marking the array
as corrupted.

As I said before, to help OP we need more details about his setup.

Side note: I use LILO. MB: Asus A8V-deluxe, no GRUB nor Nvidia here, so
YMMV!.

Ciao
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.17-gentoo, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Tue Jun 20 20:17:15
CEST 2006

An application asked:
"Requires Windows 9x, NT4 or better",
so I´ve installed Linux