On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 08:28 +0300, Rumen Yotov wrote:
> > That's worth a try - it'll take an hour or three to get everything
> set
> > up. But correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the whole point of using
> an
> > initramfs was to be able to compile *everything* as a module,
> including
> > the fs on / ? If not, that might explain why I've always had mixed
> > results with genkernel...
> >
> > alan
> >
> Hi,
> Certainly not *everything* but you could compile as modules some
> things
> which otherwise you won't be able to use as modules (root fs etc.).
> IIRC genkernel uses a 'default' config (equal to the one in LiveCD, if
> not wrong). The whole idea is to load&mount "initramfs" in memory so
> have the required modules/lvm/raid things to start the real root-fs.
> i'm using genkernel but just for the 'auto' initrd/initramfs thing,
> otherwise using my custom kernel config with some 12-16 modules.

I see that now. Here's what threw me (on Ubuntu):

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat /boot/ubuntu/config-2.6.15-25-386 | grep -i reiser
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
# CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY=y

Silly me, assuming that one distro is built the same way as another
one :-)

alan