On Sunday 02 July 2006 17:39, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> On Sunday 02 July 2006 17:00, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 July 2006 22:53, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > > That's gonna remove lots of non-xorg stuff, and not catch all xorg
> > > stuff.
> > >
> > > You can grab a list of all modular X packages at
> > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-packages.txt and
> > > run this:
> > >
> > > emerge -1 $(<modular-x-packages.txt)
> >
> > Much better. :)
>
> I'm running ext3 file system
> I've had a look at the above but it want's me to unmask a whole bunch of
> packages. I'd prefer to stick to the stable stuff.  I've only the one
> laptop and a lot of work on at the moment.  I can't afford to be out of
> action for too long
In the end I did an emerge -e xorg-x11.  It was a huge 194 package.  It ran
into some problems, a bunch of xlibs wouldn't install which cause futher
problems cascading down the list.  (32 packages failed to emerge, I can
provide a list if you need it)  Anyway I went past them with
emerge --resume --skipfirst.  After the emerge -e xorg-x11 had finished I
went back and emerged the failed packages individually.  Everything emerged.
Does that mean portage was trying to emerge the packages in the wrong order?
I've rebooted and my new x environment appears to be working fine.
Thanks for the help
Moral of the story: make back ups of critical conf files you've changed
yourself before embarking on major upgrades like this :-)
Matt
--
Dr. Matthew R. Lee.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]