On 7/4/06, gentuxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am moving my son from FC2 to Gentoo today. I went to get an up to
> date universal CD and it seems that there isn't one. Is the preferred
> stage 3 method of install these days to use the LiveCD and then just
> go to the console and work like the old days?
>
>   Currently I'm ssh-ing off all his old stuff as back. If someone
> knows of any problems or things to be careful about when working this
> way drop me a note back on or off list.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
I'm not sure of the major differences between the liveCD and the
Universal CD.  I think the Universal CD just contained mored packages
(portage snapshots, etc.).  I saw the "definitions" of each CD
somewhere yesterday, but can't seem to place my finger on it now.  I
think the only difference is that you have to download the portage
snapshot from the web (which isn't a bad idea anyway).  The
Installation Handbook covers this.

HTH

Thanks. By the time I saw you message I had already managed to build
and reboot the machine. It's up and running but no networking yet so
still to solve that one but at least it's Gentoo now.

Thanks again,
Mark