http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=5#doc_chap6

> > "update"? Is 2Q-2006 supposed to have anything to
> do
> > with emerge -u portage? It doesn't look like it.
> But
> > then what is it for?
>
> What you really should have seen was a message that
> said "Applying
> 2Q-2006 updates" or some such.  Not a "go look at
> this file" message.
>
> -Richard

Thanks Richard, good link. I didn't mean to imply that
I was advised to read that file. I mentioned it
because I didn't recognize it from the last time I
sync'ed portage.

But your reply leads to other questions: IIRC portage
didn't say "applying updates", it just mentioned the
file at the end of the sync. Don't I have to run
update to actually "apply" the updates? And, how do I
prevent some updates and allow others.

I have bandwidth issues;(

-Maxim