On 7/6/06, maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But your reply leads to other questions: IIRC portage
didn't say "applying updates", it just mentioned the
file at the end of the sync. Don't I have to run
update to actually "apply" the updates?

No, portage will do this "update" automatically when necessary.

And, how do I prevent some updates and allow others.

Hrm, you *don't* want to do this in this case.  Again, these are
things that have moved around in the portage tree, and if you have
them installed, you *want* portage to apply the same changes to the
package database.  Otherwise you will never see updates for packages
that move after you have installed them.

I have bandwidth issues;(

This has nothing to do with bandwidth, or automatically updating the
packages themselves.  It is only moving stuff around in /var/db/pkg to
keep it in sync with the portage tree.  Emerge --update still works
exactly like it did, just with the new package names.

-Richard