On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:30:49 -0700
Richard Fish wrote:

> On 7/14/06, Arnau Bria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mtune=i686"
> > CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe"
>
> Hrm, these are really not sane.  -march is telling gcc to build C code
> that will only run on a p4, and then you have -mtune specifying to run
> on everything back to a pentium-II.  I *think* -march takes precedence
> here....
>
> But for C++ code, you are specifying that should run on any P-II.  So
> C and C++ code is being compiled in very different ways on your
> system.  This is bad.  I have no idea whether these are causing your
> problems with akregator or not however...
>
> BTW, the TEXTREL messages are directly attributable to your CXXFLAGS.
> I built akregator with the same flags, and get the same messages.
>
> So what I recommend you set in /etc/make.conf is:
>
> CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Mmm... I don't know from where I got this FLAGS, but I'm quite sure I
used some program/script from portage...

Anyway, I did the mod, and remerged akregator... It still doesn't work.

> Then re-merge akregator.  If you still have trouble, try renaming
> ~/.kde3.5 to ~/.kde3.5.old and start it.  If that works then some
> akregator configuration in .kde3.5.old is responsible.

Well, I moved /home/arnau/.kde/share/apps/akregator to .old. I thinks
this is enough, isn't it?
It did not work, neither.

> Finally, may want to recompile your entire system with the fixed
> compiler flags.  This can usually be done with an "emerge -e world",
> but this will take a long time!

This is an option I considered as I saw 114 packages "broken"... now,
with CFLAGS mod, I also think this is a good option.
And, well, I could let my system recompiling all the weekend...

> You can also grep the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS
> files in the /var/db/pkg/ database to see what packages you merged
> with particular flags.  For example: "grep -r --include=CXXFLAGS --
> -mcpu=i686 /var/db/pkg/".
# grep -r --include=CXXFLAGS -- -mcpu=i686 /var/db/pkg/|wc -l
432

some x11-libs, lot of perl, kde-base... etc...
Defintely, I'll recompile my system.

> -Richard
Thanks for your time,
Cheers!