Philip Webb wrote:
> 060719 Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Leonardo wrote:
>>> different versions of gcc and glibc can coexist in the same system
>>> and all other installed programs should have no problem
>>> if I choose the new gcc with gcc-config.
>> The problem is the gcc package not only delivers the gcc compiler package,
>> but also some libraries. Further, gcc 4.1.x compiled programs are
>> not quite compatible with gcc 3.x compiled programs -
>> when you compile a lib with 4.x and still have 3.x compiled pgms around.
>> You really should recompile everything
>> when you update to gcc 4.1.x from 3.x.
>
> I upgraded to 4.1.1 a couple of weeks ago & haven't done a mass recompile
> & I have yet to run into any problem: yes, there's always tomorrow (grin).

I upgraded to 4.1.1 and ran into massive problems. People might
remember a "short" thread on this list...

Because of the problems I had, I would *NEVER* encourage people
to *NOT* recompile everything.

Alexander Skwar
--
<rm_-rf_> The real value of KDE is that they inspired and push the
          development of GNOME :-)