Neil,

Other than complaining about being old or a "pre-fail" state, it passes the smart check.  Not sure if any of this actually means something.

Benno,

I'll have to try that for a while and see what happens.  It will take some time to see if it works properly.

On 7/22/06, Benno Schulenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jason Weisberger wrote:
> Odd problem....  it seems as if almost completely at random, my
> boot process will stop at Mounting Local Filesystems...... for no
> reason.  It will freeze there until you restart the computer.  If
> I boot a Live CD and mount the volume or run an fsck.ext3 on it
> (which always comes back clean), the next time I try to boot to
> it, it'll be fine.

Try marking the affected partition as ext2 instead of ext3
in /etc/fstab, so the journal does not get used, and see if the
problem still occurs.  If not, you've found a bug in ext3.

Benno