Grant wrote:
Any drawbacks to that?  Is this what you mean:

# --lookup-by-subnet     strip the last 8 bits from IP addresses (default)

Yep this one and no drawbacks I can think of.

Why wouldn't the email be returned to the sender in case 1?

Because number 1 is entirely composed of newsletters, automated responses, etc. Someone at Amazon sat down one day and realized that their mail queues were full of crap email. So rather than have a twenty server farm to send email, they took a short cut. The email is generated on the fly and piped directly to the socket for immediately delivery. I'm totally guessing here, but that's roughly how I'd do it. If the mail fails, the entire thing is dropped on the floor and maybe a db gets updated to reflect that it was never sent. You can send a ton of email this way because you never take the I/O hit of running the email through outbound MTA queues on the originating side. Because it never enters a "real" MTA it never gets retried when it fails.

kashani