On Saturday 09 September 2006 05:33, Dale wrote:
> What would be a good way of finding files that were not deleted when
> something was upgraded/unmerged?  I thought depclean was different from
> what I wanted to say but it got the ball rolling.

Depclean is to remove packages that are no longer in or a dependency of
something in your world file.

> Last part, zoooooooom, right over my head I think.  Let's see if I get
> this right.  emerge put a file in there, something, me maybe, changed
> something so it leaves it alone.  That right??

Yep.

So just to illustrate:

# touch  /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/bugsummary.vim

# emerge --unmerge -va gentoo-syntax
>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
[SNIP]
>>> Unmerging app-vim/gentoo-syntax-20051221-r1...
No package files given... Grabbing a set.
[SNIP]
<<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/newinitd.vim
<<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/neweselect.vim
<<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/newebuild.vim
<<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/gentoo-common.vim
--- !mtime obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/bugsummary.vim
[SNIP]
--- !empty dir /usr/share/vim
<<<        dir /usr/share/doc/gentoo-syntax-20051221-r1

All the things that has a "<<<" are actually removed. The things with "---"
are not removed for the reason given in the following column. Since I
touch'ed  /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/bugsummary.vim it wasn't removed
with the reason: "!mtime" which means the last modified time has been altered
after it was installed. The reason "!empty" is the reason for dirs which
aren't empty (others packages have installed files in the same dirs...).

After the unmerge is complete the only way to know is that the files no longer
belong to any package. Of course when I remerge this package in a few minutes
the files will be overwritten and the mtime will be correct again...

Hope that makes it clear.

--
Bo Andresen