Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 05:33, Dale wrote:
>
>> What would be a good way of finding files that were not deleted when
>> something was upgraded/unmerged?  I thought depclean was different from
>> what I wanted to say but it got the ball rolling.
>>

> Depclean is to remove packages that are no longer in or a dependency of
> something in your world file.
>

>> Last part, zoooooooom, right over my head I think.  Let's see if I get
>> this right.  emerge put a file in there, something, me maybe, changed
>> something so it leaves it alone.  That right??
>>

> Yep.
>
> So just to illustrate:
>
> # touch  /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/bugsummary.vim
>
> # emerge --unmerge -va gentoo-syntax

> [SNIP]

> No package files given... Grabbing a set.
> [SNIP]
> <<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/newinitd.vim
> <<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/neweselect.vim
> <<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/newebuild.vim
> <<<        obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/gentoo-common.vim
> --- !mtime obj /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/bugsummary.vim
> [SNIP]
> --- !empty dir /usr/share/vim
> <<<        dir /usr/share/doc/gentoo-syntax-20051221-r1
>
> All the things that has a "<<<" are actually removed. The things with "---"
> are not removed for the reason given in the following column. Since I
> touch'ed  /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/bugsummary.vim it wasn't removed
> with the reason: "!mtime" which means the last modified time has been altered
> after it was installed. The reason "!empty" is the reason for dirs which
> aren't empty (others packages have installed files in the same dirs...).
>
> After the unmerge is complete the only way to know is that the files no
> longer
> belong to any package. Of course when I remerge this package in a few minutes
> the files will be overwritten and the mtime will be correct again...
>
> Hope that makes it clear.

So basically if I mess with a file and then unmerge the program it
belongs to, I have to remember which ones I messed with and delete them
myself?  If I unmerge this in a console and can't read all the "--
!mtime" as they roll by, I'm stuck with orphan files on my rig?  This
needs a fix but I wouldn't want to be the dev to figure this one out.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)