On Sunday 10 September 2006 13:18, Peter wrote:
> For over two years, I took LC_* for granted. Never touched it, never
> looked at it (snobbery of being en_US I suppose!). Now, with the 2006.1
> profile, I am forced to learn an essential part of Linux. So now, I am set
> with en_US and ISO8895-15 although I still don't know where the 02locale
> file should have been set from. I manually created it.

This is not connected to your profile or gcc upgrade. It's your glibc upgrade.
glibc-2.4.x is stricter when it comes to syntax than glibc-2.3.x. Please show
the output of:

# grep -v '^$\|^#' /etc/locale.gen
# locale -a
# locale

Also utf8 isn't the default in Gentoo (yet). /etc/env.d/03locale should have
been created manually when you followed [1] given that you wanted utf8.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml

--
Bo Andresen