On 9/11/06, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

As some may already know, I'm doing a new install on another hard
drive.  I have a question about arts.  I have this for a sound card:

> 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
> (rev 0a)

Do I need to compile KDE with arts support with this card?  I never have
started alsasound before, if that has anything to do with it, and sound
works fine.

arts is never needed for multiple alsa-capable applications to access
any sound card now, as the dmix plugin is enabled by default since
alsa version 1.0.9.  OSS-only applications are still a problem
however, as only one can access the sound card at a time.

That said, arts is still useful for KDE 3.5 if you want sound
notifications for error popups, login/logout events, etc, as it makes
notifications perform much much better IME.

-Richard