Hello,

I  used 2006.1 livecd to install a pII machine. It's going
to becomme a (minimalistic) apache2 server. I just let the
installation
set the  flags for the install  so I have these flags currently:

CURRENT
USE=" X alsa arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts cairo cdr cli crypt
 cups dbus dlloader
dri dvd dvdr eds elibc_glibc emboss encode esd fam firefox
fortran gdbm gif
gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal input_devices_evdev
input_devices_keyboard
input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jpeg kde kernel_linux
ldap libg++ mad mikmod
mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl oss pam pcre
 pdflib perl  png ppds
pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session
spell spl  ssl tcpd
truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode
userland_GNU vorbis win32codecs
x86 xml xorg xv zlib apache2  "

Some of these flag look questionable, such as the one with
underscores (kernel_linux userland_GNU) as I only found
information on them, where they are describe as 'undocumented
 use flags'. What's up with these flags?

Where do I look to discern the minimal list of (necessary) system
flags that
must be kept?  (I want to avoid negating any flags that are critical).

These are my proposed list of flags:

PROPOSED
 USE=" berkdb bitmap-fonts dbus hal jpeg ldap mp3 mpeg ncurses
nls nptl nptlonly
ogg pam pcre pdflib perl png python quicktime readline sdl ssl
tcpd truetype
truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode  vorbis win32codecs  xml
xv zlib apache2 "

So can I just use this list, or do I have to incluce a -{flag} for each one?

IS there simmpler syntax to globally remove unwanted flags [-*], but, not any
critical system flags? (Is this the same as just leaving the flag out
of the USE param. setting in make.conf?

Are there default system flag settings that I can safely remove?
Where is the list and how do I know which ones can be removed or negated?

My (limited) understanding of flags are that the highest priority are
those set in /etc/portage/package.use, then /etc/make.conf then
the system default flags which may be located in several locations.
Is there any docs or listing of all of these location and details
on precedence?

James