> On 9/12/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 9/12/06, darren kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > system. The cpu instructions are forward (but not backward)
> compatible. Thus,
> > > I did not think it necessary for a wholesale rebuild of the entire
> system on
> > > the spot. Indeed it seems this is not as simple as I thought. I
may
> have been
> > > thinking changing CHOST was as simple as changing -march or
-mcpu...

> > Well I've brought up the issue on -dev, and it seems that something
> > official is in the works on this, so we'll see what comes of that.
> > Maybe your answer will turn out to be correct!
>
> And indeed, the emerge -e world may in fact be optional.
>
> A quite from the current draft of the guide [1]:
>
> """
> - You may want to run
> # emerge -e world
> now. In theory it should not be necessary to do so, but it can not be
> 100% guaranteed that this is actually the case. ;-)
> """
>
> I think I'd still like to see people run an emerge -e system
> regardless...just as an extra safety step to make sure the system
> packages are sane.  But my understanding of what can be affected by a
> change in CHOST is definitely changed.
>
> -Richard
>
> [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~amne/temp/change-chost.txt
> --
[Timothy A. Holmes]

Hi folks -- I really appreciate all the input on this --

It turns out - the system borked and wouldn't let me login from ssh or
console, so I dropped in a live cd and am in the process of rebuilding
it (with the proper stage)

Thanks again for all the help -- I really appreciate it and I have
learned a great deal

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...