On 9/13/06, Timothy A. Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 9/12/06, darren kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > system. The cpu instructions are forward (but not backward)
> compatible. Thus,
> > > I did not think it necessary for a wholesale rebuild of the entire
> system on
> > > the spot. Indeed it seems this is not as simple as I thought. I
may
> have been
> > > thinking changing CHOST was as simple as changing -march or
-mcpu...

> > Well I've brought up the issue on -dev, and it seems that something
> > official is in the works on this, so we'll see what comes of that.
> > Maybe your answer will turn out to be correct!
>
> And indeed, the emerge -e world may in fact be optional.
>
> A quite from the current draft of the guide [1]:
>
> """
> - You may want to run
> # emerge -e world
> now. In theory it should not be necessary to do so, but it can not be
> 100% guaranteed that this is actually the case. ;-)
> """
>
> I think I'd still like to see people run an emerge -e system
> regardless...just as an extra safety step to make sure the system
> packages are sane.  But my understanding of what can be affected by a
> change in CHOST is definitely changed.
>
> -Richard
>
> [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~amne/temp/change-chost.txt
> --
[Timothy A. Holmes]

Hi folks -- I really appreciate all the input on this --

It turns out - the system borked and wouldn't let me login from ssh or
console, so I dropped in a live cd and am in the process of rebuilding
it (with the proper stage)

Thanks again for all the help -- I really appreciate it and I have
learned a great deal

The thread is kinda dead now that the OP borked the system and is
reinstalling, but anyway, I'll report to it for future reference. Old
threads in this list and foruns talk about this with different
ways/advices, but what ended up working for me (changind from i386 to
i686) was:

some quickpkg's (gcc, glibc, python, portage, libstdc++)
(just to be sure I would NOT need a livecd)
edit make.conf
emerge gcc
(as it compiles itself with the new compiler, ended up with i686-pc-linux-gnu)
emerge glibc python portage libstdc++
(just to make sure all tools for emerge were already compiled with the
new GCC, I don't know wich order the emerge -e system uses for
packages, it upgraded my glibc, wich was the whole point of the chost
change)
emerge -e system
(just to make sure most tools were already compiled with the new chost
before any reboot/retry)
emerge -e world
(I guess recompiling stuff with the new chost will take advantage of
features present in new processors, that's the whole point of HAVING
this flag, isnt? Anyway, its more like a "bug hunting" command, also,
broken dynamic linking that could be hanging will appear, specially
libstdc++, but I kinda ask myself if it was indeed needed.)

Up and running here...

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil