On 30/09/06, Ryan Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Doesn't the all-generic-ide line prevent you from using DMA and such?
The two objections I've seen to that is that it restricts the speed,
and also renames the drives to hd* instead of sd*, so things would get
switched around if I ever got to drop that parameter.

I'm not sure about DMA, actually. The DVD drive is the only thing
using it on my machine (the disks are SATA), so the performance and
device name isn't really a concern for me. It is all sorted out in
2.6.18, though, so if you upgrade to that immediately after getting
your base-installation done then you should be fine.

> Another issue you might run into is getting the onboard RTL8168
> ethernet controller working. There is no in-kernel driver for this
> thing. I managed to get the vendor-supplied driver compiling, but
> isn't working correctly for me (it seems to be transmitting packets
> fine but not receiving anything). I've not looked into it much since
> there seems to be in-kernel support coming soon and I've got another
> ethernet controller card to use in the meantime. There are also lots
> of reports from people getting it working successfully, so it may just
> be something stupid I'm doing.

Yes, I'm seeing that, too.  I think at this point I'm looking into
other motherboards.

Maybe a good idea if you have the choice, but be careful. It seems a
lot of the i965 motherboards are using the JMicron, since the chipset
doesn't have a built-in IDE controller.

Ryan W Sims

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan