My 2e-2 euro: a relatively frequent freeze of the machine can also mean a going-to-fail power supply.
It was for my machine in at least two cases.

If you have a good power supply to do the experiment, try. It's a cause more often than not. It is expecially true if the logs say nothing and you just see the machine hang after some hours/days.

If you suspect the memory/mobo, try instead to compile some large package. Often this results in random segmentation faults for gcc. Faulty memory should result in crashes and segfaults and erratic behaviour, apart from freezes.

These are of course no foolproof fingerprints, just hints...

M.