If you *really* want eye candy, try using beryl and emerald from the
portage-xgl layman overlay. ;-)

Yes, I investigated it. But it seems my card is not so well supported by XGL (If you have different experiences let me know) and XGL eye candy is (still) not what I was looking for, at least as for what I've seen (I'd never use wobbly windows and rotating cubes, sorry). The little, subtle effects of composite are enough.

The only defect I can complain -but I suspect it would require a rewriting/rethinking of X apps- is that transparency is applied to a whole window. This has the side effect of lowering the contrast of what's inside the application. In many contexts (not always) - it would be very nice to have a transparent *background* of the current window, but opaque (and therefore fully contrasted) foreground. Think of a terminal, or a text editor, but not only.

Is there some project aiming to this?

I am pretty sure though that xcompmgr and friends (kcompmgr) are dead.
Bugs I've reported against KDE 3.5's compositing issues have been
closed with "WONTFIX" and comments that indicate this.

That's interesting. Can you point me to a link?

The current way things are going is to use compositing window managers
such as compiz, beryl, metacity, <whatever xfce4's wm is named>, etc.

I would not like to be forced to change WM. I'd like to have the same effects, no matter what WM I'm running. Composite runs independently of the WM - why isn't the same for XGL?

m.