Before answering comments: well, tonight I've seen there must be something definitely wrong with my XFCE/Composite setup.No more full-time CPU hogging, but switching desktops rapidly became a pain -lags of *seconds* with CPU whirling at nearly 90% in between. I had to kill xcompmgr. Back to plain old vanilla X.

Ryan Tandy ha scritto:
I was under the impression AIGLX was dying in favour of Xgl. Well, I'll do my research :)

Quite the other way around, as far as I've been able to tell. Xgl got greater publicity, yes, but AIGLX is the one that will eventually be the "official" solution - it's already present in Portage's xorg-server in some form.

It's nice to have learned this. The big big buzz around Xgl led me think quite the contrary, I was aware of AIGLX and that the two projects are planning to merge, but I thought Xgl would have engulfed AIGLX code, not vice-versa.

By the way, the latest beta drivers from nVidia provide the OpenGL extension that Compiz and Beryl use, so you don't even need AIGLX nor Xgl, and DRI can remain enabled (wobbly quake3! ^_^). My laptop at the moment has no overlays at all - xorg-server from ~x86, compiz from ~x86, and nvidia-drivers in package.unmask - and it's all working very nicely. :) Hopefully other driver devs will follow suit.

Wow!
That's a big step towards what I wanted to hear -integrated 3d desktop without having to hack around with X.I don't like to use ~x86 for critical packages like X, but I hope 7.1 will be x86 relatively soon...

Time to switch to a nvidia card (maybe for christmas? hmm, I need a laptop too, but a bit more bucks for a nvidia card... mmm, yummy. what relatively cheap (<100 euros) nvidia card would you advice?)

Yes, an Exposè-like thing would be really useful. Is it *fast*?

Yes. I tried compiz+AIGLX on my old Celeron 1.5GHz with integrated motherboard video (eeew!) just for kicks and it ran fairly smoothly - modest framerate, but definitely usable. If you mean literally fast, then also yes - all of the animations happen within half a second or so (not that I've measured ;)).

Good news.

That is awfully cute. :) My favorite feature is the window scaler. Oh, and the way the rest of the desktop sort of drops into the background while Alt-Tabbing - it's subtle but cool.

I think so. Hmm. I'm beginning to get interested.

Sigh. I see. I wonder if/when common WMs/DEs will support these things out of the box (KDE, XFCE and Fluxbox are my favourites :) )

It depends on how important the WM is to the whole thing, you see. Compiz and its fork, Beryl, work very well with Gnome and KDE because the window manager isn't very important to them - it does very little besides manage windows, while (in Gnome for example) gnome-session and Nautilus do a lot of work as well. There's even a separate program that handles window decorations (gnome-window-decorator in Gnome, kwin I think in KDE). On the other hand, with Fluxbox, Openbox, and similar, the WM is all there is, so it's a big deal to change it. You can't have "Compiz integration in Fluxbox", since they both do the same thing, and will refuse to run at the same time. I have, however, heard rumours of an Openbox clone with some Compiz code spliced into it in initial development... :D

I understand, but having each WM to separately rewrite support for 3d is a PITA (for developers, mostly), in my opinion.

I can't believe no one is thinking to a global solution that every WM can enable. As far as I know, X programming is a wild bad devil, so kudos to the AIGL-X-gl developers nevertheless, but...

Anyway, when I'll come back to setup a GL desktop, I can switch back to KDE and use Beryl. But having integrated things in KDE 4 would be... mmmmmm... ok, stop the wet dreams NOW.

(Oh, about wet dreams: for the selective transparency idea, any possibility/news? whom should I ask about it? I feel I like and need it so badly that I can't believe someone with real coding skills isn't thinking about it)

m.