Hi,

I recognized this some time ago!

When my system is up to date "emerge -pvuND world" shows me:

> emerge -pvuND world

> Calculating world dependencies... done!
>
> Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Which is normal because an up to date system doesn't have to download
anything. But when i add the emptytree option "emerge -pveuND world" i
get this (output reduced):

> emerge -pveuND world

> Calculating world dependencies  ..... ....... done!
> [ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/binutils    [2.16.1-r3]    USE="nls
> -multislot -multitarget -test -vanilla" 109 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] net-dialup/ppp        [2.4.3-r16]    USE="gtk ipv6
> pam -activefilter -atm -dhcp -eap-tls -mppe-mppc -radius" 55 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 164 kB

So why are there appearing some apps now for which portage has to
download something? Using eix on sys-devel/binutils and net-dialup/ppp
tells me that i have exactly those ebuilds listed above installed.

I think that there have been made changes to this ebuild without
increasing the version number. For example binutils from 2.16.1-r3 to
2.16.1-r4. So portage doesn't upgrade this package although there have
been changes. Or is there a portage option i don't know until now which
i have to use for getting this apps updated. Am i guessing right in any
of this cases or is this another problem with portage?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel