Karl Huysmans <karl.huysmans <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,A friend asked me to install "some" operating system on an old Dell
laptop he got for free. The laptop has a pentium 2 400 MHz, 6 GB HD and 256 MB
RAM, and will be used by his young children.
> Anyone with any experience building such a system under Gentoo?Thank youKarl

Hello Karl,

I'm sure we all have our 'horror' stories as compared to intallation on
a resource rich machine. You eventually get their, but the price
is usually extensive. The more you install these older machines,
the smoother, somewhat, it gets. I use them for firewalls, and
minimal servers. During my last installation, I ran across this link
that might be the way to go. I have not install a 'gnap' gentoo
system, but, it's on my todo list of new (gentoo) experiences.

One more note, Vapier is 'the man' on all things gentoo-embedded.
He and many other astute gentoo-embedded folks hang out at:

gentoo-embedded@gentoo.org

Which desktop/X package you intend to use, or a X-client is something
that I have not looked into, in using gnap. Others on this list or
on the gentoo-embedded may be able to provide recommendations and
advice is gnap it the way to go for your needs.

If there was a Gen_bunto CD for older p2 and p1 machines, all of the
kids in my hood would be using gentoo........

hth,
James