On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 14:41 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 14:15, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > from time to time I remove mice and plug them in, as I move my laptop
> > around locations.  Sometimes I also start my laptop without a mouse
> > plugged in, and then plug one in after boot.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I can't use the generic /dev/input/mice, (the one-for-all device)
> > because I have a synaptic driver for the touchpad
> > (/dev/input/mouse1), and "auto" for any other mouse plugged in
> > (/dev/input/mouse2).
>
> I don't see why you can't use /dev/input/mice - I have the same mouse
> setup as you and it works for me. Unless you have problematic hardware
> that is

because the touchpad has to be configured differently to the usb mice,
otherwise things like "emulate3buttons" don't always work (on the
touchpad).  Also, I have different acceleration settings on different
mice, so I couldn't do that if they all used the same
"/dev/input/mice"...

> [snip]
>
> > does _anyone_ reading use X and _not_ the /dev/input/mice device? I
> > would be interested to hear from you!!!
>
> Well, fwiw, I'll give you the config I have and that works for me (with
> irrelevant bits snipped out). Maybe it'll work for you too...

[snip]

> It's been a long long time since I set this up but I believe the
> critical settings at the time were "CorePointer" and "AlwaysCore" in
> the ServerLayout

Thanks.  I do indeed have CorePointer, and AlwaysCore for my various
mice - and it works, so I don't think changing the xorg.conf file will
fix it.

It's just when I unplug a working usb mouse, it won't work when I plug
it back in, UNLESS I switch to a console first.

any other ideas?

3rd Law of Computing:
        Anything that can go wr
fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped