On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 13:36 +0100, Marco Calviani wrote:
> Hi list,
>   the slowness of AIGLX was due to the fact that i was running
> xorg-server without enabling the aiglx flag.

what aiglx flag?

$ equery u xorg-server | grep -i aiglx
$ <nothing>

>  After having enabled it
> xorg started running with AIGLX (using compiz or beryl).
> Although the system is quite usable there is still an issue: i thought
> the system would have relied completely on video card acceleration.
> However whenever i run an AIGLX effect such as the cube or just window
> moving the CPU goes up to 80-90% during all the time the effect is
> running. This behaviour makes the system A LOT less responsive than it
> is without AIGLX.
> Is this a known issue?

I think it can depend on the driver.  With some versions of ati-drivers,
the CPU is used to help the GPU, and I get great frame rates.  With
other version of ati-drivers (including 8.28.8 and 8.29.6) the cpu
usages stays low for all 3d, and I get crap framerates...

don't know if this is your issue, but it sounds similar.

HTH,

If you knew what to say next, would you say it?