Hey again everyone,

Here is my situation:

I have CentOS running on a system in a datacenter, but want to switch to Gentoo. Basically what I've started to do is installed Gentoo on a P4 3.0Ghz machine at home, and plan on moving it to a Pentium D 2.66Ghz. Now if I configure/compile/install all my software on the P4, and the kernel is configured for all the hardware in the other machine, will it magically work, or will it freak out? My other concern is that maybe the applications won't be optimized for the other machine. If this is the case, once it's down there, could I simply emerge all of my programs one at a time?

My reason for doing this is to minimize downtime. I didn't want to take the server offline for a week while I take my time configuring a new setup. This way it should only be down for maybe 5 minutes while I do a hard drive swap.

Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts on this.