Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My laptop does not have a DVD writer, only a DVD/CD player.  On the other
> hand, my desktop has the works.  Other than booting the desktop in Gentoo and
> burning DVDs directly, is there a way to use it remotely from my laptop?  Can
> I define in K3B my desktop's DVD drive(s)?  How can I set this up for a LAN
> connection?
>
> While at it, is there a way to achieve this at all when the desktop is not
> running Gentoo, but WinXP?
>
> PS. I do not currently have SAMBA configured on either box.

I think these two command chains should work:

"mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
ssh desktop cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -driveropts=burnfree -" <---for CDs

"mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
ssh desktop  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0" <---for DVDs

If you decide to try the above commands, please, do it with *RW media*
first, because I haven't tested them.

--
Best regards,
Daniel