On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:30, Fabian Hackhofer wrote:
> Jorge Almeida schrieb:
> > I'm about to dump Firefox, because I can't google in English. The thing
> > doesn't let me choose the language, and I'm tired of getting useless
> > Brazilian links.
>
> Ever tried to type site:uk or site:us after the search-phrase?

I suspect that this is a google not FF issue.  When I change countries I get
http proxy from another country do you still get Brazilian links? (google for
public proxies to test this).

Browser-wise I use Konqueror and Opera.  I prefer Opera for speed (despite the
fact that I am mostly connecting with ADSL) and for privacy - unlike gecko
and Khtml engined browsers Opera does not divulge Referrer headers, unless
you set it to do so.  I have been using Opera for around 6 years and have
found that they continuously develop this browser and it's features, while
retaining a smaller footprint than any(?) other browser.  They have developed
a sometimes buggy mail client which along with a multitude of other clients
(news, IM, SMS, etc) is integrated in a non-intrusive manner with the Opera
browser.  The Opera mail client database principle and its filters was
effectively copied by Google after a few years and was implemented as the now
well known Gmail.  Every now and then I see one of Opera's features or
functionality e.g. tabs being copied by other browsers.  Opera continue
development for many different platforms (I first came across Opera on a
Psion 5mx!).  Other than the sometimes buggy releases although Opera comes
free for Linux, it is *not* open source.  That said it has a big community
following and great support through forums and ng.

Konqueror has come in leaps & bounds over the last few years and is now the
best stds compliant browser than the all the rest (check acid test 2).  Since
it integrates nicely with Kmail I tend to use it a lot when I browse links in
messages, or when I have already launched other KDE apps and the associated
kdeinit and kio-slaves are already running.

Finally, I use FF when I come across websites that won't render properly in
the other two browsers - invariably on stupidly designed internet banking
sites which discriminate against anything other than M$IE & Netscape!!!

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick