On 12/2/06, Helmut Jarausch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The next step which I'm afraid of is upgrading
to glibc-2.5

Having destroyed (the system) of my machine some years
ago by upgrading glibc (on Suse), I know that this
is not a trivial step.

Actually the glibc-2.4 to 2.5 upgrade is pretty trivial, *if* you
already have nptl/nptlonly USE flags set.  If you are using a i386
CHOST (vs i686 or x86_64), then you end up having to change CHOST
before you can upgrade since glibc-2.5 is nptlonly, and that is not
trivial unfortunately.  See the current thread on this list.

So, the question:

Is there a general source of information about
warnings, actions to be taking, etc  to be followed
when upgrading certains critical packages.

Generally speaking, if you set in make.conf:

PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"

then any ebuilds that want to warn you or give you actions to take
will create files in /var/log/portage/elog/ for you to read.  You can
just delete these once you've taken whatever action is required.

More complicated upgrades (like the switch to modular-X, or gcc
upgrades) usually have some kind of guide created before they reach
stable.  But at this point, there isn't any single-page reference for
these guides...probably something we should have.

-Richard