On 3 Dec 2006, at 13:28, Mick wrote:
I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to burn an iso image of the DVD. After two expensive coasters (see other recent topic) I
came to the conclusion that the combination of
K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work....

I've never used K3B myself, but its site is not clear whether it handles the DeCSS part of the DVD rip.

CSS is the system used to region-restrict DVDs, and AFAICT it works by encrypting the files on the disk against a key stored in a special part of the DVD's header. This "header" part of the DVD is not writable by normal DVD-burners (I have heard that "authoring" DVD- burners which support it cost several thousand pounds), so a "bitwise" copy of a DVD cannot be decrypted (because the key is missing).

As I understand it, in order to copy DVD movies one must first make a copy of the DVD's files - with the region-encoding removed - onto hard-disk, then burn this as a new DVD "compilation". The result is an R0 disk which should play fine in any standard player.

Stroller.