On 12/6/06, Flophouse Joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>> On lilo there is the command "lilo -R ..." whitch tells lilo to use
>>> the specified system for the next reboot and than switch back to the
>>> default after that.
>>
>> There does not appear to be a quick-and-easy way to get grub to boot
>> an entry in a "one-off" test run as you described.
>
> Yes there is, grub-set-default. It takes a single numeric argument,
> which overrides the default in menu.lst for the next boot only.

Really?  I included a link to the "Booting once-only" node of the grub
info page in my previous post, and I didn't get that impression from
reading it.

My interpretation is that grub-set-default-- by itself-- isn't capable of
overriding the default boot entry in grub.conf for just one time.

Instead, the info page recommends using grub-set-default to set your
desired boot entry for the next boot only, and then *also* specifying
your "normal" default with a "savedefault" directive in each of your boot
stanzas in order to reset it to what you really want to boot from next
time.

It seems like if you used grub-set-default and omitted the savedefault
directive from whatever you were booting, grub would never have its
default boot entry reset to its "normal" value.  If you used
grub-set-default and did nothing else, then you'd always boot the new
kernel.

On the other hand, if grub-set-default were able to set a
for-this-boot-only boot entry by itself, then why would the info page
describe this sillier workaround?

Joe