Grant wrote:
>> > From what I understand, Linux memory isn't freed up until it is full.
>> > Is there a way to find out how much memory is actively in use?
>>
>> The free command.
>>
>> $ free
>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
>> cached
>> Mem:       1028164     928764      99400          0      28228
>> 468768
>> -/+ buffers/cache:     431768     596396
>> Swap:      1556168     210476    1345692
>
> That looks like the exact same info top gives me.  I have 2GB in my
> server and I'm trying to figure out if I could get away with 1GB
> without swapping.  Is there a tool that can help me figure that out?
>
> - Grant

Well here is my free:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # free
> Mem:       1034792     977788      57004          0     243928     169800
> -/+ buffers/cache:     564060     470732
> Swap:       976712         32     976680
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

If you drop to 1GB what you will loose is space for buffers and cached
data.  It may be a small amount of slow down but depending on what your
server is used for, it may make a difference.

Computing memory seems to depend on the program being used.  Gkrellm in
my opinion does it pretty good and accurate.  Who knows which one is
really accurate though.  If all you have is a console, I would use top
and take the amount of memory in use then deduct the buffers and cache.
It may not be perfect though.  Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Hope that helps.

Dale