On 15 December 2006 15:38, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> According to German friends of mine, it not only does, but tries to
> handle every possible case that could ever come up anywhere, anytime.

A quick case study. The adjective is "mager" (thin or skinny).

Male             base form                       comparative

Nominative   der magere Mann           der magerere Mann
Genitive        des mageren Mannes     des magereren Mannes
Dative           dem mageren Manne     dem magereren Mann
Accusative    den mageren Mann        den magereren Mann

Female
Nominative    die magere Frau             die magerere Frau
Genitive         der mageren Frau          der magereren Frau
Dative            der mageren Frau          der magereren Frau
Accusative     die magere Frau             die magerere Frau

Neuter
Nominative     das magere Kind            das magerere Kind
Genetive         des mageren Kindes      des magereren Kindes
Dative             dem mageren Kind         dem magereren Kind
Accusative      das magere Kind            das magerere Kind

Well, it isn't all that bad, actually. But then again, imagine you have to do
that in real time in speech. It can be very hard on your brain if you haven't
grown up with it.

All in all, there are things in German that are far worse than adjective. Like
capitalising or verbs - regular verbs, that is. Maybe, I should change my
signature soon. ;-) In his book "A Tramp Abroad", Mark Twain wrote a whole
chapter about how difficult German was - and he went into much detail about
verbs. Unfortunately, there isn't a single sentence with a good pun about it
that qualifies for a signature.

> If you look at the rules of German grammar, you get a distinct feeling
> that the designers of C++ tried their very best to emulate German in a
> programming language.

Alan, my South African brother, you are not talking about C++ but about Ada.
C++ wasn't invented by a committee but by a single person. It's rather easy.
If you stick to a couple of conventions (*not* rules) it's very readable even
without comments. Ada, on the other hand,...

Yes yes yes. Let's start a flamewar about programming languages. I love them.
Better than SciFi. ;-)

Uwe
(who avoids perl and does almost everything either in C++ or bash scripting)

--
Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
http://www.SysEx.com.na