On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:11:13 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> > Add sys-apps/gentoo-phonehome to all system profiles :)
>
> Damn you.  I actually searched for that package. :P

LOL!

> As long as it is voluntary, I generally install programs that allows me
> to report my hardware and software configuration so my distributor
> knows how to focus its resources.  Is Gentoo interested in this
> information?  Is there a relevant package?

There used to be such a package, but I think it was dropped some time
ago.

> > Or do what Ubuntu did and default all installs to use their time
> > server, they can get a good estimate of the number of users from the
> > time server logs.
>
> I'm fairly sure the popularity-contest package is part of a standard
> (K)Ubuntu install.  (It regularly reports the packages you have
> installed; It's not required.)  That's probably more accurate that time
> server logs, since I believe the Canonical time server are also part of
> the pool rotation.

AFAIK the Ubuntu installation defaults (or at least it did) to using only
their time servers. Every time someone booted up a Ubuntu machine in the
morning, they knew about it. It means they were counting machines using
Ubuntu as opposed to those with it installed, so they'd also have an idea
of how many people installed it and then stopped using it.

Of course, that would only work with a distro like Ubuntu that is aimed
at people wanting something that "just works" and don't fiddle with
default system settings.

--
Neil Bothwick

What do you get if you cross an agnostic, an insomniac and adyslexic?
Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.