Mark Knecht wrote:
> At that point it's gone. I cannot put into an overlay
> what I don't have. Probably most frustrating has been that I
> don't know it will be removed until it's been removed.

You could, as soon as you have a system in a working state, tar up
the entire /usr/portage tree, and then, when you find an upgrade
has broken an essential package, untar the ball over your new tree,
and re-emerge the old version of the package.  Once a month or so,
when you find that also the newest tree gives you a working system,
you would tar up that /usr/portage instead and remove the old one.
This is the dead simple, brute force way, no overlay required.  :)

Benno

--
Cetere mi opinias ke ne ĉio tradukenda estas.