On AD 2007 January 10 Wednesday 04:13:54 PM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 23:25 -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:
>
> > Yeah, maybe I'm just showing off by now. (-:
>
> not only do I have to move my eyes up and down and scroll to read top
> and bottom postings, but now I have put my head on the left as well as
> the right side for smiley faces going in the other direction!
>
> what's the standard with smiley faces?! 5:)

At the risk of appearing too willing to always defer to the RFC's here
is a quotation from the appropriate RFC,
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

    - Use smileys to indicate tone of voice, but use them sparingly.
      :-) is an example of a smiley (Look sideways).  Don't assume
      that the inclusion of a smiley will make the recipient happy
      with what you say or wipe out an otherwise insulting comment.

Therefore, total lack of standards.  Ye haw!

. .
\_/

Justin