Thomas Balthazar wrote:
Hello,

This is my first week with Gentoo.
I'm running Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14 on a  x86_64 Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz.

I have Apache 2.0.58 installed.
I would like to install mod_proxy. I need it.

When I do a emerge --search mod_proxy, all I get is :
*  www-apache/mod_proxy_html [ Masked ]
     Latest version available: 2.5.1
     Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
     Size of files: 8 kB
     Homepage:      http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/
reverse proxy
     License:       GPL-2

So it looks like I cannot install mod_proxy through emerge.

Do I need to recompile Apache?
Or is there another way?

If I need to recompile Apache, how can I know which options where used for
the original installation of Apache? I would like to keep the exact same
config + mod_proxy.

Any help would be much-much-much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Thomas.

Your analogy is incorrect. I'd suggest reading the Gentoo handbook about
package masking/unmasking. You also should read about USE Flags, so you
can set which flags you'd like to use. As far as I know Apache uses the
following by default: USE="ldap ssl -apache2 -debug -doc -mpm-itk
-mpm-leader -mpm-peruser -mpm-prefork -mpm-threadpool -mpm-worker
(-selinux) -static-modules -threads". Select which you'd prefer. If only
you cared to study a little.

Best regards.
Avaricen