did you forget to add these to /etc/make.conf?

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics"
VIDEO_CARDS="ati radeon vesa fbdev fglrx"

Iain, it seems likee you have not read my 1st post, here is the
relevent part of it:

     INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
     VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx vesa via vga v4l"

BTW, what does "synaptics" do? and what do "ati radeon fbdev" do?

if i add them, will they solve my problem? ( i am asking as i have
installed BLAG Linux for now,so that i can communicate with you folks,
i have to reinstall Gentoo to try that)

you may use a different set of drivers of course.  See google on these
for more info :)

i tried google. it confused me even more. what is DRI & OpenGL
replacing X window system? what does "mesa" has to do with "DRI" & why
ATI RADEON search opens the links to AMD web-site & then they show me
something like AMD 9600 series for Linux x86_64 ?

?

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/
Linux registered user #439610 http://counter.li.org/