[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:33:39 -0500, Carl Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've had no success getting my HP PSC 1610 Inkjet/Scanner connected to
CUPS under Gentoo. Of course, there's no such thing as a "best" printer,
but do any subscribers have recommendations for printers they've found
easy to connect and use?

Either inkjet or low-cost laser.

FWIW, I could not get my HP photosmart 7660 to work 'til I went with hplip 1.6.12 and cups 1.2.7.

(I print only rarely, but when necessary, I start up hplip, then cupsd.)

Everything works fine.

HTH

Follow this links

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931

You will see some information about USB port as well as about "hpijs 1.4.1 (if you have an HP printer)"
I hope that it be useful for you.
Regards
Sigfrido