[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:33:39 -0500, Carl Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've had no success getting my HP PSC 1610 Inkjet/Scanner connected to
CUPS under Gentoo. Of course, there's no such thing as a "best" printer,
but do any subscribers have recommendations for printers they've found
easy to connect and use?

Either inkjet or low-cost laser.

FWIW, I could not get my HP photosmart 7660 to work 'til I went with hplip 1.6.12 and cups 1.2.7.

(I print only rarely, but when necessary, I start up hplip, then cupsd.)

Everything works fine.

HTH

Did you see it

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#usb

It is necessary to be able to use USB printer in your kernel like this:

Device Drivers -->
  USB Support -->
    <*> Support for Host-side USB
    (...)
    --- USB Host Controller Drivers
    (Select the HCD that your system uses. If you do not know which one
     to select, run "lspci -v | grep HCI" from another terminal)
    <*> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support ( or )
    <*> OHCI HCD support           ( or )
    <*> UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
    (...)
    <*> USB Printer support

Did you?
I hope that it help you