On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:28:03 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > You can do this with "hdparm -z". If it reports an error, you'll need
> > to reboot to ensure the kernel's partition table is up to date.
>
> Ah, but I don't want to reboot to update the kernels' view of things.

Who does?

> All I want to do is run partprobe and then carry on working. It should
> not be necessary to reboot to do this.

Unfortunately, that's not always the case. hdparm -z sometimes allows you
to do this, but at least when it fails you are warned of the dangers of
carrying on without rebooting. Reboots are inconvenient, but data loss is
far worse.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother", said Pooh, as he put the message in the wrong conference