>> /dev/hda3
>> re-installed?

>> -vaD

>> re-installing is

>> going any
>> laptop.
>> >
>> > I haven't checked the laptop drive yet.  Can I make a smartmontools
>> > package for the x86 laptop on the amd64 desktop?  How can I do that?
>> >

>> Actually, I just noticed that smartmontools is installed on the livecd,
>> so just use that! Post the output of '/usr/sbin/smartctl -d ata -a
>> /dev/hda' - (assuming that your hard drive *is* /dev/hda of course...)
>
> That command takes less than a second to complete and there is a lot
> of output.  One thing that jumps out at me is:
>
> ATA Error Count: 868
>
> Is there anything else I should post?

Hmmm - sounds like its seen 868 read/write errors. However to advise you
better we need to see the output. I suspect it is huge because there are
error details for each of the 868 errors. How about post the first 200
lines of the smartctl output to the list?

I did a fresh format and install with the GTK installer from a LiveCD
and on the second boot errors are detected in the file system.  I
guess it's over for this drive?

- Grant