On 2007-02-15, b.n. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I hope so.  In the past I was always baffled when my searches
>> didn't find anything relevent but all the bugs I reported were
>> duplicates.  [Actually, I think there was one what wasn't, but
>> the experience was enough to make me swear off reporting bugs.]
>
> I think there is nothing bad in this. At least you know:
> - the bug you are reporting is already known
> - some dev has seen it repeteadly, and repetitia iuvant*
>
> *"Repeating helps", for the non-Latin speakers :)

Except that it generates extra work for maintainers who have to
mark the reported bug as a duplicate.  If you've tripped over a
bug that's already been reported, perhaps adding a comment
(including how you triggered the bug) to an existing bug is
probably more productive.

> Please don't give up reporting bugs. It is always important.
> The open bug reporting and solving process is one of the main
> goodies that makes OSS so marvellously different from
> proprietary software.

OK, I'll start again.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My ELBOW is a remote
                                  at               FRENCH OUTPOST!!