On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Sean wrote:
> Sven Köhler wrote:
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > I put evolution in /etc/portage/profile/package.provided.
> >
> > Then portage assumes, that it is installed ba hand and therefor
> > it's not installed installed automatically.
> >
> > Unfortunatly, you still have to install eveolution-data-server and
> > evolution-webcal, because it's a hard-dependency of some other
> > gnome-package.
>
> I thought an -eds USE flag will keep evolution-data-server
> from being installed?

No. I think you misunderstand the purpose of USE flags. They do not
dictate what will be installed or not installed (although sometimes
that happens as a side effect). USE flags dictate what FEATURES will be
enabled in package that recognises the flags.

evolution-data-server does not make use of the eds flag (why would it?
It doesn't need to support itself....). But openoffice.org does have
such a flag. If you 'USE=eds emerge openoffice.org'  then OOo will be
built with support for evolution-data-server. This is unlikely to
compile successfully without evolution-data-server actually on the
system, so the OOo ebuild contains this line

COMMON_DEPEND=
        [snip stuff]
 eds? ( >=gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-1.2 )

Which will pull in evolution-data-server and build before OOo. Note that
this is a side-effect of enabling the USE flag. If you now remove eds
from USE and rebuild OOo, it will be rebuilt without that support.
However, the evolution-data-server package will remain on the system
until you remove it explicitly with 'emerge -C' or implicitly
with 'emerge --depclean' (--depclean will only remove it if it's not in
your world)

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,