On Thursday 22 February 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007, "pat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
> 'Re:
>
> [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???':

First, I think the OP is confused between ramfs and initramfs.Not quite
the same thing...

But the thread has become about initramfs so we'll stick with that

> > OK, so I have to search for ramfs. What tool is used to create
> > initramsf file for boot or how to compile it into kernel and how to
> > use it with grub ???
>
> Each distro has their own, although I think they were mostly spawned
> from mkinitrd from RedHat.  I believe genkernel now creates initramfs
> (as opposed to initrd) files, and may have support for compiling the
> initramfs into the kernel.

genkernel will create an initramfs if you ask it to. The 'all'
and 'initrd' arguments build the initramfs, as in

genkernel all
genkernel initrd

Yes, the initrd argument does indeed build an initramfs and not an
initrd....

And the OP should keep in mind that the initrd format was dumped many
many kernel versions ago and these days we use initramfs,

> grub/lilo/xen loads an initramfs exactly the same as an initrd -- the
> kernel determines how to use the uncompressed data by looking for a
> cpio header.
>
> > Yes, start with kernel documentation ... but something quicker ???
> > :-)
>
> Not that I've found.

True. The only sane docs around I've ever found about this is
Documentation/earlyuserspace.txt - it's a tough read, but it's all
there

alan

--
Optimists say the glass is half full,